- The Herbalist in the Kitchen University of Illinois Press: 2007 Author
- Just Like Mom Used to Make Ten Speed Press, forthcoming Author
- Resource Guide for Food WritersRoutledge, 1999 Author Buy now!
- The Business of Food: Encyclopedia of the Food and Drink Industry Greenwood Press, 2007 Contributor and Co-Editor (with Ken Albala)
- The Complete Guide for the Anxious Groom: How to Avoid Everything That Could go Wrong on Her Big Day
By Steven Lewis. New Page Books, 2004
- Culinary Biographies Edited by Alice Arndt. Yes Press, 2006 ContributorBuy now!
- Encyclopedia of Food and CultureEdited by Solomon Katz. Thompson Gale, 2003 Contributor
- Entertaining from Ancient Rome to the Super Bowl: An EncyclopediaMelitta Weiss Adamson and Francine Segan (eds.). Greenwood Press, 2008ContributorBuy now!
- Fear & Loathing of Boca Raton: A Hippies' Guide to the Second Sixties By Steven Lewis. Quill Driver Books, 2007ContributorBuy now!
- Fodor's New York StateEdited by Chris Swiac. Random House, 2005ContributorBuy now!
- Human Cuisine BookSurge, 2008 Contributor and Co-editor (with Ken Albala) Buy now!
- The Oxford Companion to American Food and Drink Oxford University Press, 2007 Contributor and Associate EditorBuy now!
- The Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America
Oxford University Press, 2004
Contributor and Associate Editor
- Prima Materia 4: Speeding Through the Night Edited by Brent Robison. Bliss Plot Press, 2005 ContributorBuy now!
- Where to Weekend Around New York CityEdited by Chris Swiac. Random House: 2004 ContributorBuy now!
- "Shad." Roll Magazine: Creative Living in the Hudson Valley, May 2009.
- "High School Chemistry Pays Off -- in Ice Cream." Roll Magazine: Creative Living in the Hudson Valley, August 2008.
"Why Wait for Wedding Cake?" Roll Magazine: Creative Living in the Hudson Valley, June 2008.
- The current Roll Magazine article can be found at their new
website -- and, eventually, there will be an archive of our former
articles as well.
The following articles are available online
- "History of Chicken Fingers"
- "Polenta Polemic: The Popular Dish Takes its Lumps and is All the Better for It"
- "Worth a Hill of Beans: Cape Verde’s Nation Dish is a Savory Mix"
- "The Search for Silky Sorbet Doesn’t Go Smoothly"
- "Digging Up the Origins of Cobb Salad"
- "Chicken à la King: A Tarnished Crown, but Still Royal," "Pacific Rim on the Center of the Plate"
- "Burrata di Andria: A Silken Purse Without a Sow’s Ear"
- "A Hunt for Icebox Cake Leaves a Cold Trail"
- "A Jolly Olde Holiday Redux: Christmas of Yore Gets New Life from a New Book"
- "A Spoonful of Molasses Makes the Sugar Turn Brown"
- "A Woolf at the Table: The Food of Virginia Woolf and the Bloomsbury Set"
- "Beefsteak Stanley"
- "Caesar’s Last Salad: The Foods of Ancient Rome"
- "Conundrum Over Cream"
- "Laver Bread: Welsh Sea Biscuits"
- "Revolutionary Dishes of the War Kind"
- "Seeing Red Over the Origins of Red Velvet Cake"
- "The Naked Truth about Aphrodisiacs"
- "U.S. Helps in Locating U.K. Celebration Cake"
- "Ripeness is All" in Alimentum.
- "Comfortable Food for an Uncomfortable Time," "Hunting Morels," "Roots of Flavor," "Vertical Tasting," "What’s Eating You?," "Wine on the Web," "You’re Going to Eat What?" in The Valley Table.
- "Cheesecake," in the Newsletter of The New York Food Museum.
- "Roquefort French Dressing," in Food History News, Vol. XVI, No. 1.
- "My Cynara," in Prandial Post (online newsletter of the IACP), Vol.1, No. 1.
- "Asian Food in Print," "Asian Food on the Internet," "Chinese Food on the Internet Revisited," "Bookmarking Chinese Food on the Internet" in Flavor & Fortune.
- Book Review of Smith, Andrew, Souper Tomatoes: The Story of America’s Favorite Food, in Gastronomica, Vol. 1, No. 3.
- Book Review of Jacob, Dianne, Will Write for Food: The Complete Guide to Writing Cookbooks, Restaurant Reviews, Articles, Memoir, Fiction and More..., in Food, Culture & Society, Vol. 9, No. 2.
- "Desire on the Menu" in Journal for the Study of Food and Society, Vol. 4, No. 2.
- "Culinary Roots," online at foodline.com.
- "What is the Flavor of Human Flesh?" presented at "Cultural and Historical Aspects of Foods," Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR, 1999. Available online.