Gary developed his editorial skills -- almost literally -- under fire; he spent about a decade editing and re-writing course guides for The Culinary Institute of America. Every day, he'd translate chefspeak into something that passed for human communication. He was editor of the newsletter of the Association for the Study of Food and Society (until the newsletter was replaced by their website (the first incarnation of which he was designer and webmaster). He is also Food History Editor at the award-winning website, LeitesCulinaria.com.
- The Business of Food: Encyclopedia of the Food and Drink Industry Greenwood Press, 2007 Contributor and Co-Editor (with Ken Albala) Buy Now!
- The Hudson: America's River By Frances F. Dunwell. Columbia University Press: 2008 EditorBuy now!
- Human Cuisine BookSurge, 2008 Contributor and Co-editor (with Ken Albala)
- Read the Foreword
- The Oxford Companion to American Food and Drink Oxford University Press, 2007 Contributor and Associate EditorBuy now!
- The Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America Oxford University Press, 2004 Contributor and Associate Editor Buy now!
- Remarkable Service: A Guide to Keeping Customers for Restaurant Owners, Managers, and Servers Wiley, 2001 Contributor and Lead Editor Buy now!