Gary has always enjoyed hearing the sound of his own voice, especially before a crowd of captive listeners. Oddly enough, strangers seem to tolerate this behavior -- clearly, they have not consulted with his family.
If you would like to book Gary for a speaking engagement, please contact him.
Upcoming Readings & Appearances
None currently scheduled. Subscribe to On the Table updates in the left sidebar to be updated when new appearances have been scheduled.
Recorded Readings & Appearances
- Guest of the "Restaurant Guys," on WCTC in New Brunswick, NJ. October 18, 2007.
- Guest of "On the Menu" on WLFP in Pittsburgh, PA. October 7, 2007.
- Discussed the world of herbs on Evan Kleiman’s show, "Good Food," KCRW in Los Angeles. September 15, 2007.
- Short stories: "Bananas" and "Fat Lady Burrito" at Leite's Culinaria "Talking With Your Mouth Full," New York City. January 18, 2007.
- Panel discussion on the "Culture of Food," on Town Hall Ohio. November 12, 2006.
Previous Readings & Appearances
- Reading from Human Cuisine at The Muddy Cup/Inquiring Mind, Saugerties, NY. December 28, 2008.
- "Food Scandals in Historical Context," The New School, New York, NY, 2008.
- "Service," Keynote address to IACPís Food History Symposium: Innovations at the Table, Hagley Museum and Library, Newark, DE September 29, 2007.
- "Ripeness is All," Alimentumís Issue Four's Launch, New York City, June 13, 2007.
- "St. Evenís Challenge" and "Rockefeller Mountain Oysters;" Talking with your Mouth Full, New York City, February 22, 2007.
- "What are Herbs and Spices?" Herb Society of America, Long Island Chapter, East Norwich, NY, May 11 2006
- "An Introduction to an Introduction," Oblong Books, Rhinebeck, NY, March 18 2005
- "Recent Food Writing," Red Hook Library Board of Trustees, Red Hook, NY, October 2 2005
- "History, and a Little Cheesecake," Murrayís Cheese Shop, New York City, May 21 2005
- "Works in Progress," Clinton Corners Library, Clinton Corners, NY, February 17 2002
- "Raising a Cannibal Child," (presented at the annual meeting of the Association for the Study of Food and Society, and the Agriculture, Food and Human Values Society at DePaul University, Chicago, IL), 2002
- "Strangers in the Night: Vampires and the Meaning of Blood," (presented at the annual meeting of the Association for the Study of Food and Society, and the Agriculture, Food and Human Values Society at University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN), 2001
- "Desire on the Menu" (presented at the Annual meeting of the Association for the Study of Food and Society, and the Agriculture, Food and Human Values Society at New York University, New York, NY), 2000
- "The Second Kind: Using the Internet as a Culinary Research Tool" (presented to meeting of The Culinary Historians of Boston, at Radcliffe College, Cambridge, MA), 2000
- "What is the Flavor of Human Flesh?" (presented to Cultural and Historical Aspects of Foods conference) at Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR, 1999